If there are two colors that don't mix well in the Kennedy home, they are
Orange and
Red. Joel and I have just survived another
Georgia vs.
Tennessee football game. The 2nd weekend in October usually brings a bit of tension, but it has gotten much better over the years. Mostly due to the fact that I have surrendered to knowing that football is just not as important to me as it is to Joel. I just make matters worse if I pretend to care more than I really do. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Vols, but it's hard to be as big of a fan as I was in college when I'm not surrounded by
orange and white, hearing Rocky Top all the time, and watching games in Neyland Stadium. Not to mention, that all I hear from Joel is Dawgs, Dawgs, Dawgs. He even has our daughter brainwashed to love UGA. Although, Joel has become much more amicable, I would still much rather watch the game separately. Afterall, the only place that
orange and
red look good together is on a beautiful autumn tree. I decided a few years ago to stop going to the
UGA vs.
UT game because it was a lose/lose situation and never much fun. It was a bummer if
UT lost, but if we won, I had to deal with a miserable husband and his entourage of
red people. It turned out that this year, several of our Griffin friends were going to be tailgating in Athens before the game. I thought it'd be fun to hang out with them a while, but not go to the game. The first question Joel asked me was if I'd be wearing
orange. Absolutely! But, where does an 8 months along pregnant lady find something
orange in the heart of Dawg Country? Thankfully, one of my friends who is a faithful
UT fan had a pair of
Tennessee orange maternity pants. I had a great time catching up with Griffin friends before the game. During the game, I met up with a couple of other Young Life wives, and our kids had a blast playing together. It was quite a madhouse, so I missed most of the game, but it made the 2nd weekend in October much more enjoyable. The only glitch in the day, which was not game-related, was when I got lost on my way to pick Joel up after the game, causing much frustration. Needless to say, it was another quiet ride home from Athens after the battle of
Orange and
Red. Oh, I take that back, we did have an 18 month old screaming her head off for most of the way!!
It was a race to see who would dress Mary Kate. I had orange and red clothes set out, but Joel won out, as usual when it comes to game day. I was hoping she'd poop all over them on the way to the game so she'd have to change into her orange and white, but that didn't happen.

I must add that while Joel's passion for Georgia football can be obnoxious and over-the-top at times, I am very thankful that he is a passionate person for I know that he is much more passionate about Jesus, me, our daughter, and baby #2. So, maybe orange and red can mix after all.
8 comments:
Okay, that is hilarious. Love it. Good for you though for letting Joel have his way a bit...secretly you can still scream your head off for UT! hee hee.
Surprisingly, and thankfully, Dan and I don't have a rivalry like that...whew.
Katherine, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this entry! You are funny! I like the part about wishing Mary Kate had pooped on her Georgia outfit. I'm glad you had fun! :)
so funny...i laughed so much reading this. Especially the orange pants...awesome.
Katherine, I felt your pain as I had to watch the game in Nashville--UT country through and through. The good news is, you looked adorable in those pants!
I love this entry!!! It's better than reality TV. I remember when Joel was a U.T. fan! He likes to forget that period in his life. He was born in Tennessee! And the football shirt he wore as a baby had a different bulldog on it!
Love the orange pants.
loved the entry...was thinking of you on saturday :) i am very proud of you that you have learned to embrace and support joel's love (is that even a strong enough word?) of georgia football. it can be a hard thing, something i struggle with in regards to brad. maybe you and i should move in together during football season and let the boys have the other house :)
you rocked those orange pants!
too funny..wish we'd been there and could have seen y'all.
Post a Comment