5.30.2010

Crooked Creek

I was waiting to do an update blog until I had some pics to post, but I keep forgetting to lug the camera around so no pics yet...maybe soon. Bottom line...best assignment ever! I realize that I'm saying that after only 3 days (Day 1 with kids), but I figured I better soak it all in while I can. Oh, for those of you reading this not knowing what I'm talking about, Joel and I and the kids are on a 3 week assignment at Crooked Creek Ranch in Fraser, CO. Joel's job is Work Crew Coordinator, which means he's spending his time loving on the WC bosses, organizing WC meetings and devos, and making sure that everything "work crew" is running smoothly. So far, this job has proved to be very family friendly and Joel has done an excellent job of helping me out when he can. The trip out here went pretty well, other than Ford being a handful at times...but no major melt downs. This is our first real regional assignment, meaning most of the people on it are from our region, which is awesome to know so many people. I often leave assignments regretting not getting to know the assigned team as well as I'd like, so it's nice to have a head start. Mary Kate has met her soul mate. Rich and Wendy Crawford are here with their kids and they have a 4 year old that loves princesses as much as MK. The weather has been gorgeous so far, so the kids have been living outside...playing in the huge sandbox (really, the volleyball court), exploring the creek, playing in the gym, playing wiffle ball, and now we're anxiously awaiting for the first crew of campers to arrive. Ford seems like a new man after getting tubes and clearing out a sinus infection. He's having so much fun. This is random, but I got him his first pair of real tennis shoes (99 cent off ebay) before we headed out here, and when I put them on him, he was no longer my baby...he looks so old in them. The great thing about being at Crooked Creek is getting to see Steebo (a Macon YL leader who is here as a year-long intern). Mary Kate has been talking about going to Colorado to see Steebo for quite a while. We're looking forward to getting some hang time with him. I was telling Joel last night that I really feel like I'm experiencing a little slice of heaven...I mean, we're at camp with all of our needs being met, living in community with other believers, just getting to play all day, worshiping with people that love the Lord, and getting to see God work in the lives of high school kids. Yes, I know that there will be hard times to come, but I know that God is here.

Here's a few prayer requests for those of you that want to join in...
  • Overall, pray for rest, health, and time with Jesus for our assigned team.
  • Pray for the speaker, Springer, and program team (Chris, Allen, and Matt) as they carry a lot of the weight in being in front of kids and setting them up to meet Jesus.
  • Pray for the work crew and summer staff as they selflessly serve our high school friends.
  • Pray for Real Life, a part of the week where a few of the assigned team share their story through a series of thought tapes. It's a very powerful tool that can relate the things that Springer is talking about to your life. Joel and I will both be a part of the real life team. Joel's done it a few times before, but this will be my first. I'm a little anxious about having to relive my "high school self". Pray that God would protect us and the rest of the team from the enemy getting into our heads and making us think that we're still those people.
  • Pray for high school kids to "get" how much the Lord loves them and to begin a relationship with Him.
  • Pray for Joel, me, Mary Kate and Ford to learn more about what it looks like for our family to follow Christ.
Thanks ya'll!

3 comments:

Olivia said...

yay! i'm so excited you are having a great time! i'll be praying for your time at ccr and for real life! you go girl! love-olivia

Mollie Cargill said...

I am so glad the trip out there was pretty easy! I was thinking about yall! Be safe, keep posting, and I am praying everyone stays well this year ;) (By the way, I thought your high school self was pretty great, but then again, I thought your middle school self was awesome too, and I really like the almost 30 year old mommy self too) More than anything, I am so thankful that I know all of those "sides" of you....You are a blessing to me...hugs!

Rebecca Jackson said...

I love you guys! Enjoy your time there. It is always amazing being at a YL camp. I will be praying for all of you and that kids will meet Jesus while they are there.