1.08.2009

Happy 30th Birthday, Joel!

Happy Birthday to my best friend. Wow,30! That's getting pretty old! Come to mention it, I have started seeing quite a few gray hairs on your head. If you go bald, it's probably not because of old age, but because you've twirled your hair in the same spot for 30 years. Don't worry, I'm not too far behind you. I just wanted you and the blogging world to know how much I love you and how thankful I am that God created you 30 years (plus 9 months) ago. I think it's pretty cool that I've now known you half your life (I think--you'll have to do the math on that). I'm so blessed to have you as my husband and for Mary Kate and Ford to have you as their Daddy. You are an amazing man. I love the way that you love Jesus and know how badly you need Him. I'm thankful for the countless ways that you love me and serve me and do whatever you can to make my days wonderful. I love the way that you adore Mary Kate and Ford. I'll save all the extra gushy mushy stuff for later. Just know that I love you and I look forward to growing much older with you. Here's some pictures to celebrate your 30 years.

3 Days Old

5 Months Old



First Birthday




2 Years Old




4th Birthday




6 Years Old



12 Years Old





16 Years Old



This is also 16 years old, but I had to document the best haircut of all. I don't know if you can see, but he's got long hair with half of it shaved underneath. Yep, he thought that was cool!




17 Years Old






20 Years Old






23 Years Old




25 Years Old




26 Years Old




27 Years Old



29 Years Old

Leave a comment and share your favorite memory of Joel or just send him an encouraging birthday message.

34 comments:

Dalton and Anna said...

I think you're the greatest brother in the whole world. Sheesh...what memory do i choose. I remember the time mama and daddy were out of town and i fell asleep in the living room. You picked me up and carried me to my room...i remember waking up during the ride and i could feel you were semi straining to hold me but I enjoyed that you were so just stayed there...you tucked me into bed and gave me a kiss good night. I'm pretty sure you were about 10 or 11 at that time...it was when we lived at the canterburry house. You were Daddy while Daddy was away...it was nice. You were great at being Dad then and you're great doing the real thing now. Happy birthday brother...love you very much. - your lil' sis anna

p.s. you should know how much i miss you!!!!!!

Dalton and Anna said...

This is Dalton now. I don't have too many memories with Joel - which truly is sad - but I have impressions that are just as precious as memories. Because these impressions have formed my understanding of who you are Joel.

The text that comes to mind that best articulates it is 2 Corinthians 11:1-3 when Paul speaks of "simple devotion to Jesus." Simplicity in devotion is the impression that the few memories that I have of Joel has left. I am persuaded as of now that Joel is a man of faithfulness and tenderness before God and before men. And I believe that this faithfulness and tenderness is directly related to his simple devotion to Jesus. This simple devotion is likened by Paul to being a "chaste virgin" prepared for "one husband." I celebrate that quality in you Joel and know that it will be the anchor in your family.

Love ya bro,
Dalton

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday, Joel! When I met you, I finally found someone who might me just a LITTLE more obsessed with Georgia football than my husband...congratulations! Hope you can find a cupcake with sprinkles to enjoy on your birthday ;)

Katie and Shae said...

Joel,

Sweet butt cut at age 16! Thanks for all you do for the kids of Macon! We are Blessed that God brought you guys to Macon. Peace to you and your family and don't fee too old, I mean, you are 30...yikes!

Shae and Katie

Cameron said...

Joel,
I remember your birth like it was yesterday...wait, I wasn't there, but I am glad you are alive. You have been a blessing to me as a brother in Christ. I do wish I was there when you were 16 to enjoy that awesome hair style! Or even when you wore that awesome eagle shirt! Happy Birthday!
Cameron

1826 North Broad said...

Hey! Happy Birthday! You're 30 now...much wiser than you were yesterday. Yesterday you were wild, undisciplined and 29. But today things seem a little clearer. The world makes a little more sense. You're 30! When you are 29 you think things like Knowshon and Stafford sticking around for another year makes sense. Now that you're 30 you understand that it was time for those guys to go. Detroit needs a QB and Knowshon needs some more legos...and that signing bonus can buy a ton of legos! Have a great day. By the way. Is Mark Richt wearing makeup in that picture?
tait

r.m. said...

Favorite memory? Gosh--like Anna, it's so hard to choose! I will always treasure our very first U2 concert together. Me, you, and John M. all by ourselves in the big city. What an incredible show it was! I still smile thinking about the big lemon they climbed out of and how happy all three of us were during that amazing [what seemed like] 30-minute "where the streets have no name" with all of those lighters. We just stood there with perma grins for 2 hours. I was so happy you got us those tickets and so happy that we got to experience it together.

You're the best big brother a sister could have. You helped shape my musical taste and I still have so much fun swapping music with you. I hope that we get to go to a hundred more shows together, but even so, I'll still never forget our magical night at the Dome with U2 that cold night in November way back in 199something.

Happy 3-0! I love you so much!

Rachel McFachel

Anonymous said...

My best memories are of those special morning prayer times on your couch. It was there I learned what a wonerful man of God you are & how much you love & depend on Jesus. Thank you for being such an encourager to me personally & with YoungLives. Look forward to serving with you many more years.
Linda

Unknown said...

Joel - welcome to the 30's. it's not so bad, only the reality of our friend group containing WAY too many high school kids start seeming wierder.
hope you have a great day, love Sweeney.

My Mission said...

Indeed memories .... there are so many over a 30 year period. There are too, too, many to pick out just one or even two. But I am so grateful to have had the privilege of seeing you grow into manhood from the very first few moments of your life journey on planet earth. And what a man you've become!!! You're a man in the purest since of definition. You have brought and still bring great joy to my heart as your dad. I love and appreciate who you've become. Happy Birthday old man!!!

Anonymous said...

Joel, I am so excited to be able to spend the weekend with you and say that I was with you on your big day. 30 is old, but I'm on the way! I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know you and your family and watch your family grow. I appreciate the man of God that you are and the influence you have been on my life this far. Thank you for holding me accountable and allowing me to join you on this wonderful journey called life. I hope this birthday beats all the rest!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Joel,

The birthdays with an "0" at the end will be special from here on out. You have a great wife "1" and "2" beautiful kids. "1" plus "2" equals "3". Add in your "0" and you have "30". I left out the dog but you can add him for the next "0".
Joel, you are a good man, a great father, a true brother in Christ, and best of all a mighty warrior for our risen LORD.

May God bless you on this day and all the days yet to come.

With much love,

Blake and Isabelle

Anonymous said...

Joel,
Happy Birthday. Don't fret man, the 30's are a breeze.....then you hit 40.....and they are good too. Different but good. Cookie, Donna and I were talking about you this morning at Tuck's. We still miss you in the mornings watching that ugly but strong bench press! I hope you have a great day. Tim

Brian Phillips said...

Hey, Joel. I'm glad Katherine gave us the opportunity to wish you a happy birthday today. Wow, I didn't know you all had dated that long. That's very special. You're both an inspiration to me in so many ways. I'm blessed to have met you, my friend. I hope you have a great birthday!

Anonymous said...

Joel,
Happy Birthday. I am grateful for your unending prayers and your faithful friendship to my husband.
Hope your day is very special. Welcome to the 30's!
love, Cabell

Anonymous said...

Joel,
Happy 30th...You're a great blessing to many, especially your family. It's been a joy to minister with you these past years. Years from now, to honor the memory of that first year you were in Griffin we'll just have to go to Big Jim's in Senoia.

God bless and GO DAWGS!
Jeff Cole

ps...why do I have no doubt that you were wearing some kind of MC Hammer pants in one of those 16 year old pics? Or at least you owned a pair...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I know your birthday was ruined when Stafford and Moreno announced they were leaving UGA for millions... but it will get better from here. You're now in your 30s an you get to look forward to changing more diapers, crying during Extreme Home Makeover, complaining that the bus trip to Sharptop is now too long (and you can forget making the trip to Colorado without a weeks worth of complaining before and after), eating M&Ms and actually watching them stick to your love handles, and learning the highlight of each week was the evening news.

Seriously... May you find your 30s bring life, happiness, abundance, and a deeper passion for Jesus and your family. Happy Birthday Joel!

Anonymous said...

Tried to leave you Birthday wishes on facebook but it kept wanting to scam me out of $$ for a fake birthday cake???

One of my joys as RD (right behind letters from your wife) was hiring you and watching you allow the Lord to mold and use you.

May your feel His warm embrace on this Your day, He created!

Anonymous said...

Joel, Happy Birthday bud. I am blessed to have you as a friend. You took me to my first Braves game, to see Coach Richt and my first UGA game in 10+ years. You are always there if I need someone to talk to or just to hang out and laugh with. Thanks for being there man. I'm glad I have a friend that is older than me.

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday Joel!

i am so lucky to have you as a friend I am overjoyed to have you as a member of our crazy family. You and Katt have created two of the most beautiful children ever and you are an amazing father. Thank you for loving my sister so much! I look forward to seeing you again soon. Bring the whole crew up here whenever you want. We love you and miss you.
steph and joe

Anonymous said...

Joel! Way to go! 30 is a big deal, only 20 more till 50! I hope im not making you feel tooo old. Im only 10 years behind you, so i can make too much fun.

Thanks so much for being a GREAT leader to me, in a lot of different ways. God really knew what he was doing when he put you on this earth. The world is a lot better for it!

IM SO EXCITED FOR THIS WEEKEND!
Cant wait to make more memories with you and your FANTASTIC family!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday, Joel. What can I say man, I am so very thankful to God for bringing you to Macon. You have quickly become one of my best friends, and I love you. Today I'm praying that our Lord will pour out his very best upon you and your family this year. Happy birthday my friend. Grace and peace of Christ to you!

Mike

StansberryPhotography said...

Hey Joel! Happy Birthday! We all still wish you guys lived back here... THEN we would have a GREAT excuse to have a pizza party with LOTS of kids running/sitting around... all to celebrate you and the BIG 3-0! Hope you had a great day!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday! Mike didn't include me in his message, but I wish you a great day as well!

Hope to see you soon!


Lindsay

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOEL! I have lots of memories with you and can't think of just one, but I was so thrilled when I heard that you would be the new YL staff when Scoggins left, it made him and Bethany leaving a little easier. I knew it was the beginning of something new and wonderful for YL and it truly has been. Thank you so much for helping me transition from direct ministry with the kids at Stratford to more of a "supporter" role with YL. It means so much to me that I am still able to be a part of the YL family. I love you and your family so much and am glad that God has blessed me with you as a friend. Oh, and Go Gators! (I had to do it...)

Sarah Mac

Anonymous said...

What? No pics of you and Tubberville? I wish we were hanging out on your "big # 30"! When you come up next(maybe for some firewood), I'm gonna buy you a cold one. Joel, I mean this honestly, that in the last 25 years, I have not had an "iron-sharpener" in my life like you. I miss you brother. Come up soon and have a Great Birthday! sg

Mom said...

Happy Birthday! If you are THAT old what in the world does that make me??? I remember the 12 year old picture! I will never forget the many times that you got excited about the puppet ministry at your church and that you seemed to love Jesus at such a young age. Thank you for being in my life for the last 16 years! You have always been a blessing. Hope you have a great day!!!
Mom ( in blog world and otherwise known as Gwen)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Manning's first crush! That is my favorite memory of you. Manning dropping Tait's hand and grabbing yours! I hope that you have a GREAT day!!!!

Zac Slay said...

JOEL! It's so cool that we've known each other since high school. I'm thankful we keep running into each other. Thanks for being such a brother to me. You're 30 man, live it up!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Joel!!! Enjoy your 30th birthday and keep pressing on for many more! Tom

Michele said...

I just had time to sit down and read all of the awesome posts on the blog and comments on facebook and am overwhelmed by the love from so many friends--all of which you deserve. You know how special you have always been to me--long before there was a Katherine and Joel. I have loved all of our times together and am so glad you became an "official" member of my family. You are a great husband, father and son-in-law. Have a great weekend. I love you.

Anonymous said...

I feel like I just looked at a blog of Nathan's life (even though he will be 20 years older than you in April)! He is also the perfect husband, father, and blessing to me! We married at the same age, had a daughter, then a son (maybe one more son is in the plan for you!). I was a big UT fan and Nathan a GA fan. Nathan went through the awkward stages, too. I'm impressed that you could attract a beautiful girl like Katherine when you looked like that at the age of 16! I also think Katherine mistakenly put a picture of MK on your first birthday picture! Anyway, I hope you continue to be as blessed as we are by the time you hit the big 5-0!! (That's April 22 for Nathan)!! I'm so glad that God has blessed my life with the friendship of you, Katherine, MK and Ford and I can't wait to babysit again!!!! Love, Gina

robin k said...

a few favorites: kids camp talent shows (newsboys?); elaborate haunted houses, very creative ways of decorating Mike Wilson's yard; praying to receive Jesus; praying with your sister to receive Jesus; and Re: YL...'I can't imagine anything else I would rather do with my life!' Thanks for 30 years of wonderful memories!
Love you, son!
mama

The Elliott's Adventures said...

happy birthday, joel! brad will be right behind you turning 30! you guys are getting old:) (but you'll always be younger than me:)
we are so thankful for you and your friendship.